Thursday 5 July 2012

New {School} Year ~ New Ideas

Every summer, like all teachers, I sit and reflect upon the previous school year.  I then proceed with making a list of things to work on.  This year I have quite a list, but most of it is just making some old things seem new again - new socials projects, new Bible notebooks, but the same curriculum. 

However, I do have a few brand new things that I am going to implement this year. Yesterday, Mrs. M had a linky party.  She asked us to list 4 new things that we are going to implement into our classrooms this year.  While I drank my morning coffee this morning, I browsed her blog and the other blogs and was hit with much inspiration.  I am thinking that my list of new things may soon become much longer after seeing these wonderful ideas!  Thank you for sharing everyone! 

But for now, I am going to concentrate on my own list...hopefully I can get it done early so that I can try out a few new ideas I have found reading other wonderful blogs along the way. 

1. 6+1 Traits.  I began implementing this last year, however I want to take it all the way this year.  Writing is something I find my students struggle with from year to year and I want them to love it.  I want to brighten up my bulletin board for this and make it something I can use from year to year. 

2. Math:  This year our entire school is switching to Bob Jones University Math Curriculum.  I am VERY excited about this. The program is very teacher friendly (much unlike the last 2 we have tried) and it has wonderful expectations for the students and strives to have them not only understand math concepts but to love math.

3. Spelling:  I don't have it yet, but I am implementing a new spelling program this year too....a little more "old school" ~ the way spelling was when I was younger. I am still planning on using Spelling City for my tests and review games, but most of our lessons and activities will be done in class. 

4.  Admin Team:  This year I will be on the Admin Team of my school.  We are running without a principal this coming year and 3 staff members have stepped up to cover that role.  My duties will include being in charge of the schools curriculum review and implementation and supervision of staff professional development.  I am very excited about this and have full confidence in the Admin Team and the rest of the staff to have a very successful year.

4 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I'm in the same type of boat - wanting to focus more on writing and spelling, and wanting my kids to love math. Thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower, I also teach 4th.
    Emily
    I Love My Classroom
    www.ilovemyclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow congrats on being part of the admin team! That sounds like you will be very busy this year! Curriculum is something that I have always enjoyed and would love to do one day. Good luck next year! :)

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats and good luck being on the admin team. Please keep us posted on the 6+1 traits. Thanks for linking up.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I am your newest follower..I came across your blog over at Ms. M's blog linky party 4 on 4th. I was a little late to the party, but I have been reading all the links and blogs tonight. Great ideas. I love Spelling City! I used it last year with several of my spelling groups. I use the Words Their Way differentiated spelling program and Spelling City helps out a lot with that (I have 4-5 spelling groups in each of the two ELA classes I teach). Hope on over to my blog if you get a chance and check it out.
    Patti
    Tales from a 4th (and 5th) Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete